Last year, in search of some natural solutions for hygiene and beauty products, I stumbled on Skin Cleanse, written by the creator of the S.W. Basics natural product line (sold at Target). She provided a number of different, natural solutions for your skin woes (I highly recommend her book), but by the far the most life-changing for me was the deodorant cream.
This all natural deodorant not only works, but this is the first deodorant that has EVER worked for me! All that chemical shit at the grocery store was no match for my sweat glands and body odor. You put me in a crowded room and that deodorant was rendered useless, including mens clinical strength. (I'm thinking it must have been some kind of evolutionary defense mechanism, or at least Id like to think that so my sweaty, stinky pits sound a little badass and not just gross.)
I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit for myself, so feel free to make it your own. One recipe lasts me quite awhile, making this fabulous concoction not only effective but a lot more affordable. And I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather smell like coconuts and lavender then chemical-filled quarter pounder with cheese and extra onions—oh and not have huge gross pit stains.
What you need…
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch (I find three works better for me)
- 8-10 drops (approximately) of an essential oil or oils of your choice (I just made a batch with lavender and rosemary)
- a small glass jar or container
- a small pot
- a whisk, fork, or spoon
What to do…
- melt the coconut oil in the small pot on low heat
- once the coconut oil is melted, whisk in the corn flour and the baking soda
- add the essential oil of your choice and whisk that in as well so all ingredients are combined
- pour the mixture into your glass jar or container, and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes until thickened and cool
- the ingredients may become separated at first, but a quick stir will solve that
- store in a cool, dry place
- apply the deodorant like lotion, get about a blueberry-sized amount on your finger and rub it into your armpit
- you may want to rinse your hands after
- get dressed and smell fresh!